We contemplated the Sunday breakfast buffet at the Holiday Inn (part of our Marina complex) but at $9.99 without anything special to offer we opted for our freebie here on the veranda. The table swelled to 9 (plus three dogs) as we were joined by other regulars that we had met two years ago. It is a very easy atmosphere here and everyone is very friendly. After breakfast John, Betty, Dan and I headed over to the weekly flea market which also includes several produce stands and then headed to CVS to pick up several prescriptions we had ordered and to look for a watch for Dan. No luck until we happened onto Divers Direct, a large dive store and found the perfect watch for him.
We had lunch aboard and right after lunch I noticed a tall Great Egret standing watching a fishing captain clean his catch three slips over. He didn't seem to mind all the people milling around him, so I grabbed may camera to try to get a close up shot. While I was shooting, the captain left his cleaning table for a brief moment to talk with his guests and I watched the egret slowly walk closer and closer to the table. His head was just about even with the table and he gave a brief flap of his wings and was up on the table in an instant. Just as he began to peck at the 6 red snappers being filleted on the table the captain returned waving arms and screaming. As he flew away, he managed to kick the filleting knife in the water! Luckily the knife was retrievable and none of the filets were affected, but I felt a a bit chagrined that I hadn't shooed the bird away instead of busily snapping the episode!
The rest of the afternoon was spent greasing the steering cables and then actually relaxing around the pool for a while. We took a short swim and then headed to The Galley, a local eatery for a light dinner. We have spent a lot of time the past two days studying the weather forecast to see if a three day weather "window" will open up for us to make the crossing - first the Gulf Stream and then the Bahamas Bank. Between the search for a "window" and the wait for the new propeller, we aren't sure what our schedule will be the next few weeks. ~~~_/)~~~M&D
Here's what happens when you leave your freshly caught fish unattended for less than half a minute. The bottom right show the filleting knife on the bottom.
I swear this guy was laughing at the whole episode!
No comments:
Post a Comment